Have you ever faced the Spotify Error Code 18? We all know that Spotify is one of the leading music platforms on the internet? Besides the amazon and the Deezer, this one is my favorite. It was the last summer holidays when my cousin came to me with horrible expressions on his forehead. I asked me what the problem man is? He replied that he has got stuck in a severe problem. The problem was actually Spotify Error Code 18.
After search a lot for hours I was not able to find much information related to my problem. I decided to go solo this time. I started doing my experiments, and after two days, I was able to make him play his music again. He was so much happy as his Spotify Error Code 18 was gone completely
Now, as usual, First, we will understand the main cause of the problem. Once we identify it we will try to solve it using different tested ways. You will have to test all of the solution methods and one of them will eventually work for you. The situation can vary from device to device.
For your convenience, I have divided the whole article into different sections. The first section contains some basic information about Spotify. It is intended for someone who is interested to know about the platform a bit in detail. If you are not interested in it you can skip this part and move straight to the next part. The next section contains the main causes the make the Spotify error code 18 occurs.
Finally, we will move on to the next section where you will learn how to fix the problem. Now again if you are not interested in the above two sections please feel free to skip these parts and move straight to the solution. You can use our table of content to save time.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Spotify and how does it work?
- 2 Is Spotify for free?
- 3 Why was Spotify created?
- 4 Causes of Spotify Error Code 18
- 5 How to Fix Spotify Error Code 18
What is Spotify and how does it work?
Spotify is one of the best online music platforms. Like its competitors, Amazon and the Deezer it tries its best to bring value to its users. With the help of Spotify, you can access lots of music, podcasts, and video streaming services merely in seconds.
The Spotify service is available throughout the world that can connect you to different artists. You can access millions of libraries and listen to your favorite music anywhere at any time.
Check Out:- 6 Easy Solution for DISM Error 87 on Windows
Is Spotify for free?
Spotify being such an outstanding music platform is not completely free. But it is having fairy cheap packages which cost round about $9 a month. However, if you are a student you can also access their student package which will cost you about $4.4 a month. These rates are pretty reasonable to give such hardworking developers who make our lives better and better.
Why was Spotify created?
Piracy is one of the biggest challenges and threats to online business. Due to such crimes, people don’t pay much to music industries. As a result, they will not be able to generate proper revenue. Consider the case of movies, if we talk about the Bollywood (If you are from India). Different movie directors and filmmakers spend a lot of money on their production. In return, if people are not buying their products such as movies and songs they will not be able to earn.
In order to cope up with such problems, the two amazing developers Daniel Ek and Martin Lorentzon created Spotify. Initially, it was a small startup based in Stockholm, Sweden. Later on, it became a fully-fledged platform that is serving millions of people online.
Now if I am sure you might have a little bit of knowledge about the platform. In this upcoming section, we will learn about the main causes of Spotify Error Code 18.
Causes of Spotify Error Code 18
Below are some of the main causes behind the Spotify Error Code 18. I have found these based on my own research and tests. Some of these might be your case and as a result, you are facing the Spotify Error Code 18.
Installing corrupted files
If you are installing the main file that is corrupted it will more likely to cause the Spotify Error Code 18. It is because the corrupted file might not contain complete information that is required to run the program properly. Even sometimes the installed fails which can also be the main issue of the problem.
Softwares are prone to different kinds of viruses and malware. These infections corrupt the data of this software and as a result, they are not able to run. It is possible that the Spotify app which you are installing is affected by malware.
It can happen both on your computer or the platform where you have downloaded the software. It is highly recommended to use the most authentic source to download files. Otherwise, you will more likely run into problems.
Windows Registry Corrupted during installation
It is possible to face the issue sometimes in the windows 10 or 8. Sometimes the Windows registry corrupts when you are trying to install or uninstall applications. There is a higher amount of chances that your registry has corrupted during the installation of Spotify. Due to this reason you are facing the Spotify error code 18.
Faulty Drivers on Your Computer
Sometimes your computer drivers are having bugs and issues. Due to these bugs, you will run into different kinds of problems. I have faced many problems due to bugs in my video card drivers. There is a chance that you are facing the Spotify error code 18 due to faulty drivers installed on your device.
Third-party Antivirus programs
Some of the third-party antivirus programs might block the Spotify sometimes. It is because this software considers the app as a virus. As a result, you will get the Spotify error code 18. Most of these third-party antivirus treats software downloaded from different websites with caution. It will try to keep unwanted apps and software suppressed and as a result, you may face errors.
How to Fix Spotify Error Code 18
Now you might have an idea about the main causes of the error code 18 in Spotify. In this next section, we will learn some methods that will help us solve the Spotify error code 18. Some of these methods may not for your case because your problem might be caused due to other factors. In order to get rid of this problem I recommend trying all the solutions until you get rid of the problem.
Method 1- Use Task Manager
One of the easiest ways to get rid of the Spotify Error Code 18 problem is to kill the task related to Spotify. It is because these programs run continuously which may cause ambiguity in the RAM. As a result, you keep facing odd issues.
Once you close all the running tasks and refresh the app there is a higher chance that you will get things solved. However, it is not guaranteed because there could be any other reason. But you should try it first because if it works you won’t have to do other geeky stuff.
Now in order to close all tasks related to Spotify, you will have to access the task manager first. I will explain it step by step in the following points.
- Right-click on your Taskbar or press ctrl + alt + del
- Click on task manager, It will open up with the “Process” tab.
- Locate the Spotify.
- At the right down corner, you will see the “End Task” button click on it.
Once you have successfully executed all the steps close the task manager. Now open the Spotify app and it should work properly now if the problem was related to the running tasks.
If it doesn’t work for you then move on to the next solution
Method 2- Deleting Registry
Once you install something on your PC it will automatically save some of its files. These files are called registry files and they help the computer perform its functions efficiently. However, If you delete the app some of these registry files will remain in your PC.
These files start to cause trouble in different ways. There is a higher amount of chances that they will cause Spotify error code 18. In order to get rid of this problem, it is best to delete the registry files once.
- You can use the CCleaner software which is highly recommended. You can do this manually too but there is a chance you will delete system files. Deleting system files from your computer will damage your OS. So it is best you use software for that.
- First of all download the CCleaner from any authentic source. Scan it with an antivirus app before installing it to make sure it is safe. Once you have installed successfully open the app.
- Once the app window is open click on the “Registry” and it will take you to the registry scanner. (Note:- Before that you should back up your registry files)
- Click on “Scan for Issues” and wait until the process is complete.
- The CCleaner will take a look at your computer and check for files that have issues.
- Once the search is complete click on “Fix selected Issues” & a popup window will show up and click on “Fix All Selected Issues”. It will take some time to complete.
- Make sure you restart your computer after that and run the Spotify.
Method 3- Exit Steam Before Trying the Spotify
During my research, I found that Steam and Spotify have a connection. Sometimes The Spotify mistakenly takes the Steam files as its own. This is where the trouble starts. It mostly happens when you are uninstalling the Spotify app. During the uninstallation process, some of the Spotify files will be taken by steam.
The mutual file conflict between the two most used apps causes error code 18. You can solve it by turning off the Steam app completely. To do this follow the given steps
- Go to your Steam app
- Go to the upper left corner
- Click on the Steam
- drag your mouse down to the exit button
- Click exit
Once you have successfully turned off the steam you will be able to run the Spotify app.
Method 4- Deleting Spotify AppData
This is one of the best ways to remove any kind of error from almost any app. Basically, when you delete an app data it clears out all the junk files.
Some of these junk files might cause trouble if they exist for a longer period of time. So, in this case, Spotify app data will be stored on your computer. So let’s know how to delete this.
- Press Win+R key and wait for a pop-up window to appear in a while. The popup window is RUN option actually.
- There you will have to enter a command “%appdata%” in the search box and hit ok.
- Now all applications data folders will come out. In there you need to find the “Spotify folder” and delete it by right-clicking on the folder.
- After this give your computer restart and open Spotify, log in with your credentials. But if you still getting Spotify Error code 18 follow up next step.
Method 5- By Windows Cleanup
Windows latest version (Windows 10) has a great feature for System cleanup, which clean up windows unused files. But it works a better job than Windows “Disk Cleanup“. The main highlight of this option that it automatically removed temporary files that are left when you uninstalled any Application. Let’s find how to do it.
- First Open up your windows 10 settings of your computer.
- In there click on the System, inside that find & open storage section.
- While opening the storage section, at first you will see your system C drive usages. Under that, you will see “Temporary Files” click on it. (at that time it will calculate how much files your system have)
- A new window will open up and see how much your system have Temporary Files have. You don’t need to select any files (If need for you, so go forward), finally, tap on the “Remove Files“.
- It will take sometimes and Removed your system Temporary Files.
Alos Read:- 8 Best Solution to Fix Twitch 2000 Network Error
Method 6- Check Windows Update
Sometimes windows new updates can fix any software related problem. You might be thinking about why? so I am here to tell you. ?
Let’s think about developer purposes. Suppose that developer, developed application on Windows new architecture. So that applications need windows new patch files to run on your system, and your windows system doesn’t update a while. Updating windows might solve your problem. Here how?
- Open your Windows Settings.
- Find and Open “Update & Security“. Make sure that your PC needs to be connected to the Internet.
- Under that “Windows Update” section will open up.
- Finally, click on the “Check for Updates” even your system showing “You’re up to date”
- Wait for a while to getting download files to your system. (Tip:- Enable Delivery Optimization for faster download ?)
- When updated are installed then Restart your system/computer.
Method 7- Uninstall & Reinstall Spotify
Now coming to the final point which I usually use, when I get any third party application related problems. Let’s discuss why this solves almost all problems.
If you are a techy guy you might going around system drives. Unfortunately, you may delete any program files which help to run any application. That’s why you may be getting Spotify Error Code 18. So now Uninstall Spotify and again install it to get rid out of this error. But how? follow the below steps:-
- Like the same, you need to go to Windows Settings.
- Under settings find and open Apps section.
- A new window will open up in there you need to find “Spotify” and click on it. You will see the “Uninstall” button tap on it.
- Follow some process to completely Uninstall.
After that Restart your computer, now download Spotify form their website, and install it. Log in with your credentials. Now you can enjoy Spotify without getting any error.
Extra Tips ?
If you’re reading this point, you are very curious about extra tips and all of the above wouldn’t work for you.
So here are some quick tips this will help you may or not.
- Flush DNS:- Go to CMD, type ipconfig /flushdns & hit enter.
- Safe Mode:– You can reboot your computer in safe mode by following this guide. (At your Own Risk)
- Antivirus:- Scan your Computer with good & Trusted antivirus to check malware, remove it from your computer.
You Might Also Enjoy…
- Error Code 491 – How to Fix it in best 5 Ways
- 8 Tricks For Solving Can’t Connect To Camera Error
- 7 Best Ways to Solve there was a problem parsing the package Problem