If you are here, you are surely looking for the proper solution to fix the Discord Mic? Well, I used to face microphone issues lately on Discord while playing a game online with it.
What causes Discord mic not working? Discord mic not working is caused due to several reasons, but most of the cases are due to issue with the automatic input sensitivity or external headset.
Here is the good news, I came up with some practical solutions for Discord and permanently fixed the glitch. Since there are several scenarios in which users are reporting issues, I am providing all kinds of solutions to resolve different problems.
Table of Contents
- 1 The real problem with Discord Mic
2 Effective solutions to fix the Mic glitch
- 2.1 Method 1- Run Discord with Administrator privileges:-
- 2.2 Method 2- Log Out from Discord:-
- 2.3 Method 3- Updating Audio Driver:-
- 2.4 Method 4- Reset Voice settings:-
- 2.5 Method 5- Check the input device:-
- 2.6 Method 6- Try Push to talk:-
- 2.7 Method 7- Automatic Input Sensitivity Settings:-
- 2.8 Method 8- Disable QoS:-
- 2.9 Method 9- Change Privacy Settings:-
- 2.10 Method 10- Disable the exclusive mode:-
- 2.11 Extra Tips:
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Final Words
The real problem with Discord Mic
First of all, let’s know what the problem is? It is a microphone glitch in Discord due to which a user can hear the other members of the channel, but others can’t pick up the user’s microphone audio.
This issue is mostly seen in Discord’s desktop version, as most of the users who reported the same glitch are using the web app. On the other hand, some users got the audio back after the restart and reset on their device.
Furthermore, there are a few common problems from users, which include a lack of access to external devices in the first place. Some of them are
Lack of required access:
Discord may require the administrator access to run flawlessly in some systems and the supported OS in it. A specific version of Windows can’t access third-party software to run as an administrator by default.
Possible software glitch:
A software glitch is expected when used continuously for a long time. Thus, logging out of it can help to a great extent. It is possible due to increased cache memory resulting in continuous usage or too many opening and closing.
Changes in automatic sensitivity settings:
The software’s sensitivity as per the input of the microphone can be either switched off or kept in the default. This feature is used to sense the change in the external device’s frequency, such as a microphone.
Also Read:- Fix Steam Not Opening
Input device settings:
In the settings option, one can find several adjustments that can be done to act on the microphone. Input device settings are also one such setting that can have an impact on microphone usages. The default settings may be changed itself while you install it.
Enabled exclusive mode:
Exclusive mode is a special mode dedicated to enhanced user features, and enabling this may stop recording from the microphone. However, there are some additional features of this model that may overwrite the required settings for the third party external device.
Changes in Voice settings:
Voice settings in the settings option can also cease the microphone features in some cases. Like much other external software used for voice input and output, Discord also has some default voice settings that may resist it to take the microphone’s input.
For Windows User:- Fix 0xc00d5212 Error
Restricted access from windows:
Windows may sometimes restrict access to external input devices such as microphones. It may stop the microphone from getting permit over the software and the operating system. Thus, not letting any input signal from the microphone to be sensed or used on the screen.
Therefore, make sure that you have already given access to the external device on your OS to connect and access the microphone.
Effective solutions to fix the Mic glitch
I am sharing a list of all effective bug fixes that have already helped many users fix the glitch and resume communication with team members. I have tried all these methods in my desktop version, and there is no problem with my Microphone connection or audio output from any aspect.
Note:- Before implementing those methods to troubleshoot the Discord App Mic Glitch, make sure that your Microphone is working well and the OS has access to it. If not, change the Microphone with working ones and allow access to the operating system as well.
If your microphone is still facing the same problem and your team members cannot hear your voice, you can try these methods until you encounter a fix for your microphone audio.
Method 1- Run Discord with Administrator privileges:-
It is the first and foremost suggestion provided by Discord Customer support to any user having a microphone audio problem.
On running software as an administrator, you can provide the required privileges to it so that the entire function of it can be feasible. Discord uses UDP to send data to the team members connected with the users. Therefore this privilege will help it to transmit your voice flawlessly on the internet.
- To implement this method, first you need to completely close Discord. Then Go to windows search and type “Discord“.
- You will see the application showing up. On that right side click “Run as administrator“. Now give confirmation on the dialogue box.
And you’re good to go to Run Discord as Administrator
Method 2- Log Out from Discord:-
Logging out from Discord and again Logging in it can sometimes resolve the microphone problem. This trick is possibly a quick fix, but it is probably a temporary solution for the problem. Although this trick has worked for many users, including me, the issue again returns within a few moments with some glitches.
If you want a permanent solution using the logging out and then logging in the method, then a better solution than this conventional method can be
- There will be a settings icon in the bottom left corner of the desktop version of Discord.
You can see the “User Settings” label on it while placing your cursor on it. Click on it.
- Scroll down from the appeared menu until you find the “Log Out” button.
- Click on the logout button until it registers your action.
- After the logout is successful, insert your credentials and log in.
After the login procedure is completed, try connecting with your friends and see whether they can hear you. If you are experiencing the same problem again, then move to the second method.
Related:- Discord Won’t Open
Method 3- Updating Audio Driver:-
An outdated driver can cause a lot of issues in some cases, especially on windows. Because it’s needed all the latest patches to perfectly run any application which gets frequent updates.
So in these cases, make sure that your audio driver is updated. Follow the below steps.
- For every time updating any system driver, just go to “Device Manager” by searching on the windows search bar.
- Open it up. In there you will see all lists of functions which being using on your PC/Laptop.
- Find “Sound, video and games controllers”, Click on the drop-down icon. You will see all drivers which are used to picking up your sound.
- Just right click on the driver which is used by your microphone, & click “Update Driver”.
- Now tap on “Search automatically for drivers”. Wait for sometimes, it will automatically download and install an updated driver if available.
- But you are confused about which driver being used by your pc/laptop. So update all drivers automatically.
Now everything fine. Open Discord, or if Discord is already opened, close it entirely & open again. Check whether the problem persists or not.
Must Check:- Disable Service Host Delivery Optimization
Method 4- Reset Voice settings:-
Resetting the voice settings has the maximum chances of success. This method will indeed work if you are coming across the issue only on the desktop app of Discord. Resuming the standard functionality of Discord can resolve this problem most likely.
Follow the steps below to reset the voice settings in Discord application: –
- Click the user “Settings” icon in the bottom left corner of discord app.
- Select the “Voice and Video” that is present under App settings.
- Select the “Reset Voice Settings” after scrolling down.
- Click on the Okay button to confirm your selection.
Reconnect your headset and check whether the glitch is still present or else removed. If not, then implement the next method.
When you reset your voice settings before proceeding with the problem solving methods, you should check the microphone.
For doing this, go to Voice and Video options like previous. Under the “Voice Settings,” you will find the Mic Scheck section. Under that click on “Let’s Check” button.
Now talk to your system connected microphone. If everything ok, so you can see the bar pulsating in different colours. If nothing happens, follow up next steps.
Method 5- Check the input device:-
There is a chance of audio failure when Discord does not recognize your microphone as the suited input device. Sometimes, Discord may change the input device option to default, which may cause malfunctioning mostly in computers or gaming laptops as they have a built-in microphone.
If you are using these devices and haven’t selected the microphone that is going to be used, then the application will use the internal one even if a headset is connected. Most laptops and gaming PCs don’t possess the required driver to function with VoIP services.
You can follow this method to make sure that Discord is using the same Microphone that you are using
1. Go to the user “Settings” icon on the bottom left, as like previous.
2. Click on Voice & Video option in App Settings as like previous.
3. Under the “Input Device”, select the “microphone” from your headset.
4.Slide the manual “slide bar” to the maximum below the input volume slider.
Method 6- Try Push to talk:-
You can also try changing the input mode to push to talk from Voice Activity as many users have reported that it is working for real. However, to bring this mode into action, you may require pressing a button whenever you want to say something on your microphone to your buddies.
This might be helpful for gamers. For setting up follow below steps.
- As like previous. Need to go to “Discord User Settings.”
- Go to the “Voice & Video” settings section, which is located under App settings.
- In there, you will find, Input Mode is selected to Voice Activity (default). Change it to “Push to Talk.”
- A new box will open up, called “Shortcut.” In there, you need “Record Keybind.” It means that you need to set a particular key on the keyboard or any mouse button to activate the microphone on discord, like a walkie talkie Push-to-talk (PTT) button.
- Aassign key by clicking on Record Keybind, and enter any key. In my case, I entered “F.” Click stop recording, or it will automatically set up when any key set.
All things are done. Whenever you are talking, just press that selected crucial and holds that’s it. Also, here video instructions.
It is undoubtedly not an excellent solution for the Microphone audio disability, but it can be an instant solution to communicate with your team members online.
Related:- Twitch 5000 Content Not Available Error
Method 7- Automatic Input Sensitivity Settings:-
There is an option in Discord’s settings called “Automatic Input Sensitivity.” In case the user has disabled this option, there are chances of the microphone malfunctioning in some scenarios. Disabling this option prevents some of the functions of microphones essential in live streaming or video chat.
If you have unintentionally toggled off this option from the settings, then you should open it and tick the box next to this option. While this option is disabled, the manual sensitivity bar works on sending the slider to the left, which can cease the process of picking the sound from your microphone.
The reason for enabling this option is because the input sensitivity of Discord is buggy, and automatic settings won’t lit up the indication bar when you speak in Mic. But, turning it manually can accomplish the task quickly. Here is the list of methods that you should do
- You can find the user “Settings” icon on the bottom-left corner of Discord Windows, click on it.
- Then, go to app settings and click on “Voice & Video”.
- Scroll down until you find “Input Sensitivity”.
- Wait, Wait. Before turning “Automatically Determine Input Sensitivity,” check once again while it’s disabled. Place the toggle middle position or towards the left side near to -100dB in dual color bar.
- Now talk to the microphone. If the mic is working, you will see a shadow pulsating under two colours (yellow & green).
- If not, so Turn on the “Automatically Determine Input Sensitivity” toggle.
- Talk into your headset and see whether the sensitivity bar lights up in solid green and whether it is glowing green when you speak on your microphone.
If this method worked, the manual bar below the toggle would keep on pulsating every time you talk. Once it is crosschecked, you are good to go. However, if your team members are still unable to hear your mic’s audio, then go for the next method.
Note:- While checking the mic in this method discord will not pick the microphone automatically, so make join any discord server “voice channels”.
Method 8- Disable QoS:-
There is a possibility of interference of the QoS setting on Discord with some critical system functions. This interference may cause an error in the Microphone output a well which is why disabling it may work to some extent.
- Click on the “User Settings” option in the Discord Window as like previous steps.
- Now Tap on the “Voice and Video” option in the left tab in user settings.
- Toggle off the option “Enable quality of Service High Packet Priority.”
- Check whether the issue is still present.
Must Read:- Solving Can’t Connect To Camera Error
Method 9- Change Privacy Settings:-
If you are using Microsoft Windows’s licensed version, you must have come across the security settings added to it. Using this new feature, Applications installed on PC have revoked access to Microphones and all other hardware components automatically.
The permissions policy granted to third party applications like Discord may have disabled your Microphone, causing it not to work. In this case, you can enable the microphone access and solve the problem by following these methods.
- Press Windows Key on your keyboards and type “Privacy Settings” on the search bar.
- Click on privacy settings and you can see a window popping out.
- Scroll down on the left pane of windows and click on the “Microphone”.
- Switch on the toggle of “Allow apps to access your Microphone” present on the right window pane, in case if it off.
- Scroll down a little bit you will see the “Allow Desktop apps to access your microphone”, make sure that it’s turned on. Because it’s significant for third-party apps like Discord, also, under there, you will find all third-party apps that accessing the microphone.
- Restart your system and check whether Mic is working in Discord.
Method 10- Disable the exclusive mode:-
Some Windows applications are configured to take control of audio device drivers and can cause problems with Discord. The microphone in Discord quiets down entirely if settings in Exclusive Mode are enabled. You can disable the exclusive modes by following this quick guide.
- Just type “Sound” in the windows search bar. In there you will see “Change system sounds”. Click on it and open it up.
- In there go to “Recording” tab and select the “Microphone” from your headset.
- Click on “Properties” options that are present in the bottom left corner.
- Under the “Advanced” tab and uncheck the checkbox present under “Exclusive Mode”.
- Click on the “Apply” button below.
Reboot your system and see whether Mic is working or not, and If this doesn’t work then try the next method below.
If above all methods didn’t work so you should follow the below steps. Maybe this might help you.
1. “Uninstall” Discord and install again. Download from their official site.
2. In some cases, cache files cause some issues. So try Deleting Discord AppData. Might be helpful.
3. Check your connect microphone jack or connected port. Hardware issue may case for discord mic not working issue.
If you think all above methods are right from your end. So you should contact Discord Support about this issue. I am sure that they will help you definitely. But if thing is missing or needs to add any point which might solve the issue, so don’t hesitate to comment down below or contact us.
Q1. How to get access to Windows OS for my microphone?
Ans. First of all, make sure that your microphone is working well without any hardware issues. Now, connect your mic to your system correctly and set it as a default input device. You can go to Settings>System > sound to set your microphone as the default external input device. After the device is placed, it can get access to your Windows OS.
Q2. How can I ensure that my microphone is working?
Ans. Open the Discord window, where you can see the user settings option in the bottom right corner. You can now see App settings, select it, and click on voice and video. There will be a sensitivity slider present on the bar. If the slider on the bar reacts to the microphone’s voice input, then your microphone is undoubtedly working.
Q3. Why are my team members unable to hear my voice?
Ans. There may be many reasons for this issue, but the most common reason can be the hardware problem in your external microphone. Suppose your external microphone is working well and connected to your operating system as the default input device. In that case, you can follow the methods mentioned above to resolve your Discord microphone issue.
The above article addresses the glitch occurring in Discord Microphone functions while there are specific solutions regarding every problem occurring. I have specifically discussed the issue in which team members on the other side are unable to hear the users’ voice.
These are the 9 methods that I tried, or most of the users reported as the working scenario for the Microphone Glitch occurring in the Discord Windows.
I am sure that one of these methods will surely work for your problem and if still, the problem exists, you have to change your external headsets. The best way to cross-check your microphone is to connect it with other devices or other software in your system.