Alright, so you bought your favourite PC Game. You installed it and when you were about to play the game boom!. You faced an error message “d3dx9_39.dll is missing”. I know it hurts because you will not be able to play the game until you get rid of this annoying error.
The d3dx9_39.dll error may occur in games and some applications which require Microsoft DirectX. The d3dx9_39.dll is actually a file. This file along with other important files are responsible for the running of “Microsoft DirectX”.
Now for those of you who want to know a bit more about the DirectX. It is actually an application that is used for graphics settings in a Computer. The DirectX is an important file as it handles many high-end graphics games.
Users of earlier windows such as windows 98 were mostly the victim of many drivers and files missing errors. I still remember when I had my own computer with Intel Pentium 2 in it. I had windows 98 in it and I had to take it to the computer shop every time for installing drivers.
But This Error is not limited to the windows 98. It can occur in Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and even the latest Windows 10.
Don’t worry I will tell you today how to get rid of this error and play your favourite game without any problem.
Table of Contents
- 1 What causes the D3DX9_39.dll is missing Error
- 2 Solving the D3DX9_39.dll is missing Error
What causes the D3DX9_39.dll is missing Error
There are different reasons due to which you will face this error. When you understand what is the reason behind the “error d3dx9_39.dll file missing” you will be able to solve it immediately.
Based on my own research I have found that there are more than one Issues that trigger the error. In my case, the DirectX file was affected by the virus. It has some files corrupted in it. Due to these corrupted files, I had to face many problems and the d3dx9_39.dll file missing was one of them. I have compiled a list of the most probable causes of this error.
Virus on your computer:
As I have already mentioned it. Sometimes a virus attack on a computer may be very fatal and it can corrupt the DirectX and many other system files. Due to these corrupted system files, your PC will not be able to perform functions correctly.
Outdated Microsoft DirectX version:
It is also possible that you are running an outdated Microsoft DirectX version. It may not contain the latest files. Nowadays modern games and software require the latest Microsoft DirectX. This is because Microsoft Developers have developed it according to the requirements of modern-day games and application software.
If you are having an old version of Microsoft DirectX you will more likely to encounter the Error d3dx9_39.dll file missing.
BUGS in the Game or software installation file:
It is also possible that the game of software which you want to run on your PC has bugs in its setup. Due to these bugs, the setup will not be able to install the game or software properly. And as a result, it will not be able to perform correctly.
Now I think you will have a rough idea about the causes of this error. Let’s move to the solution part of the d3dx9_39.dll is missing. Following the solutions of this article, I hope you will be able to get rid of this error. And it will not be able to haunt you anymore during your favourite games and software.
Solving the D3DX9_39.dll is missing Error
Before we learn how to solve this error let me tell you one thing. There are different websites available on the internet which provides .dll files. I suggest you do not download any of the .dll files yourself. This is because installing it manually may not fix the problem and chances are you will ruin something else.
wait….! Have you already downloaded the file from the internet? it’s ok just delete it from the directory where you have pasted it. Once you have successfully deleted the file follow the steps;
Method 1- Rebooting your PC
Yes, it is possible that sometimes the DirectX is not able to pick the d3dx9_39.dll file. This will cause problems during different operations.
The first and best way to get rid of this error is to Normally reboot your PC just. Sometimes this works just like a charm.
- First, go to your Windows Start menu.
- In there you will see Power Icon at the corner. Juts click on it.
- Then a DropDown menu will open. In there You will see “Restart” button click on it.
Also Read:- 8 Best Solution to Fix Twitch 2000 Network Error
Now you need to wait to complete restart of your PC. See weather error is still showing or not, If yes so follow below steps.
Method 2- Installing the latest version of DirectX
Microsoft developers constantly release new updates to the DirectX. They do their best to enhance their user experience. You may install the latest version available on the Microsoft website and install in on the previously installed version. This will also install all the missing files in the previous version. Follow the below steps to install DirectX latest version.
- Head Over to the Microsoft DirectX download Page.
- Select your preferred language and hit on the download button.
- A dxwebsetup.exe named file will download, that’s contained DirectX files. Open that file and follow their steps to install DirectX reading carefully.
- But in the installation time, you will see DirectX want to install Bing Bar on your system. If you don’t need it juts uncheck it and proceed to installation.
- After complete installation Restart your System.
You can also check for the CD or the source from where you got the game or Software. Developers usually put a copy of the latest DirectX version with those files which requires it. Sometimes that version works better than the one you already have on your PC.
The DirectX setup on the CD of the game or any other software might be named as dxsetup install it and wait for the process to get completed and then reboot your pc.
Method 3- Uninstalling The Game or Software and reinstalling It:
If you are still facing the issue of d3dx9_39.dll then Try uninstalling the app or game. Once it has been successfully removed install it again. Sometimes the setup file contains bugs which will not install the program completely. Due to this program may not be able to detect the d3dx9_39.dll file on your computer.
- Open up your Windows settings.
- Inside the settings you will see Apps section and open it up.
- In the apps section, you will see “Apps & features” tab. Click on it and find Software and Game which causes d3dx9_39.dll is missing (You thinking). Finally, tap on the Uninstall Button and Confirm it.
- After successfully Uninstalling give restart of your PC and Install the software or Game again.
Reinstalling may result in the proper installation of the file which will be able to detect the d3dx9_39.dll file.
Method 4- Updating Graphics drivers
If your video card drivers are outdated then they may create a lot of problems. Such as poor performance and sometimes DirectX problems too. To get rid of all these errors try updating your video card drivers as early as possible.
You can update your drivers from the Windows Update settings in Windows 10. This will help you get rid of the Error d3dx9_39.dll missing in most of the games and software. Follow the below steps to update graphics Driver
- Open Windows Search “Device Manager“, open it up.
- In there you will need to find “Display Adapters” because we are updating Graphics driver.
- And you will see your Graphics card, in my case AMD Radeon Vega 8.
- So I need Right-click on that and you will see “Update Driver“.
- A popup window will open up and in there you need to click on the “Search Automatically for updated Driver Software“. Because you don’t need to find a suitable driver and download it on your system local.
- At that point, it will automatically search the lastest driver and the new install the Driver without any click.
I hope this article will help most of the users who have followed the steps. If you still have any problems, please feel free to ask me in the comment section I will try my best to solve your problem.