t’s a bright sunny day and you are ready to kickstart your day with a bang. With all your energy you start your system and your browser, only to see a big yellow exclamation mark with an error called ‘Unidentified Network’. This is when you realize that your internet has stopped working.
This is a common situation which most of us have faced and it has been a tedious task to find an appropriate solution to the same. Before we get to the resolution, let’s understand the basics.
Ethernet in layman terms is what connects your Local Area Network (most commonly known as LAN) and is also a protocol that determines how data is transmitted via LAN. The Local Area network consists of a small group of communities in your local area connecting computers in officers, households or communities.
Here’s a fact you didn’t know – you have an ethernet port in your laptop. This is because the ethernet wire is used to connect to the internet, unlike WIFI which is wireless.
But, users may face errors due to various reasons which are listed below-
- Incorrect IP configuration– IP configuration plays a very important role as the networks are identified using your system’s unique IP address. Hence, correct IP configuration of your system is a must.
- Timely Windows 10 updates–Windows 10 is great, but it also requires timely updates which are easy to configure but sometimes, the updates can change or modify the system’s key settings which can cause the error.
- Network Settings– Along with IP configuration, network settings are equally important for a smooth functioning of your internet.
- Third Party Applications– Some of the third-party applications installed in your system like antivirus may also been blocking the smooth functioning of your internet.
Once you are done beating your high score in this legendary game, let’s take a look at the resolutions for the ‘Ethernet Unidentified Network’ error.
Table of Contents
- Method 1- Check your Wi-Fi Router or Modem
- Method 2- Turn off the Airplane Mode
- Method 3- Run the Network Troubleshooter
- Method 4- Update the Network Drivers
- Method 5- Setup Custom DNS
- Method 6- Disable the firewall in your antivirus
- Method 7- Tweaking Network adapter
- Method 8- Renew your IP Address
- Method 9- Reset the TCP/IP Stack
- The wire is properly inserted in the slot and still the internet is not working, why is that so?
- How do I re-install the driver which I have uninstalled in the process mentioned above?
- How can one make sure that the network is established when the wire is connected?
- Does this error have to do anything with my internet speed?
Method 1- Check your Wi-Fi Router or Modem
There are two cases which we will consider in this scenario as some people may have wired connections and some may have wireless connections.
If your computer has a wired connection, then check the following-
- Check if the “Ethernet” wire is properly inserted in the particular slot of your PC and there is no loose contact in the same.
- If you have a modem or router, check if the wire is connected properly and the cable clip is locked in the slot edge.
- Check for the main wire of the modem and ensure that it is securely connected to the port.
If you are using a wireless connection, then check the following-
- Firstly, cross-check if the Wi-Fi connection is turned on. If you have just got it connected, wait for your IPS connection to get established and then switch it on.
- Reconnect your Wi-Fi from the taskbar using the ‘Networking Option.’
- Enter your Wi-Fi password correctly and log in.
Method 2- Turn off the Airplane Mode
Generally, users do not purposely switch their laptop/ PC on the airplane mode, but sometimes one may not realise and a random click while working might have enabled the ‘Airplane Mode’ in your laptop or PC.
It has the same functions as the one in our mobile phones and due to which you may not be able to access your Wi-Fi. Simply turn off the airplane mode from the taskbar or settings menu of your laptop and you would be good to go.
Method 3- Run the Network Troubleshooter
One of the best ways to solve most of the problems related to your laptop/PC is running the troubleshooter. It is most of the times smart enough to identify the problem and rectify the same. You can run the network troubleshooter by following the steps given below-
- Go to the “Settings” menu of your system. You can also press the Windows Key + I simultaneously to go to the settings menu directly.
- Now, go to “Network & Internet”.
- Click on ‘Network Troubleshooter’.
- Allow the troubleshooter to function and wait for the program to finish.
Method 4- Update the Network Drivers
Just like your other softwares, network drivers require timely updates too which if not done can hamper the functioning of your internet.
- Click on the Windows button + X. Alternatively, you can also right click on the Start button.
- Click on “Device Manager”.
- Find ‘Network Adapters’ and click on the same to expand the list of network adapters installed in your computer.
- Right click on the adapters to update them.
- You can also try to uninstall the driver and re-boot the system to install them again if the above method does not work.
Related:- How to Fix Generic PnP Monitor Error
Method 5- Setup Custom DNS
DNS is the backbone of the internet, if your computer DNS misconfiguration so you might face an issue. Here are the below methods to solve it our properly.
- Open up run window & Type “ncpa.cpl”. Hit enter.
- Now find the network which is currently in use, & right-click on it then Click on “Properties”.
- In that new window, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) & click on Properties option.
- Now in that window, make sure that Obtain an IP Address Automatically is selected. After select “Use the following DNS server address” & put following DNS.
Preferred DNS server: 126.96.36.199
Alternate DNS server: 188.8.131.52
- Sometimes Google DNS doesn’t work perfectly. So in those cases, use Cloudflare DNS, this is amazing & fast. Which I personally using. Put following DNS.
Preferred DNS server: 184.108.40.206
Alternate DNS server: 220.127.116.11
- Press OK & Restart your system.
Method 6- Disable the firewall in your antivirus
The firewall in your antivirus has the task of stopping the bad traffic or any kind of virus or malware attack in your system while you are browsing on the internet.
At the time of download, we have to give the antivirus administrator rights due to which sometimes, it may be a problem to browse online if the firewall is enable in your antivirus. Simply disable the same and check browsing in the browser again. Please take care to visit authentic sites only as your protector has now been disabled.
A more secure way to carry out this would be to disable your antivirus temporarily and then switch it on after rebooting your system.
Also, here is the simple method to disable Firewall in Windows system.
- Open up Windows Settings > Update & Security.
- Click on “Firewall & Network protection”. In there you will see a list of networks, you need to Disable only “Public Network”.
- So click on it, now slide down the toggle “Microsoft Defender firewall” & keep this Off.
Method 7- Tweaking Network adapter
When comes to tweaking part in network it’s not hard. Only I will disable & re-enable network adapter.
- So as like previous open Network connections by entering “ncpa.cpl” in windows run window.
- Now select the connect adapter WiFi or Ethernet. In my case Ethernet, right-click on it & Click on Disable.
- Wait a while, Again right-click on that network adapter & click on “Enable”.
All set, Restart your pc. You problem might be fixed.
Method 8- Renew your IP Address
Ethernet Unidentified Network may crop up if your IP address is not configured properly due to some reason. With this method, you can renew the IP address post which we shall be flushing out the DNS cache as well. All you need to do is follow the steps given below-
- Serach ‘Windows PowerShell’ & click on Run as Adninistrator.
- A window will pop up, enter the following command in the same- ipconfig /release.
- The next command would be- ipconfig /renew.
- Wait for sometimes for both commands, when it’s running.
- Once the process is completed, type in this command to clear the DNS cache Clear-DnsClientCache .
Might Help:- Tips To Fix Can’t Hear Anyone On Discord
Method 9- Reset the TCP/IP Stack
We tend to make some network settings manually or give in certain permissions on temporary basis to get the work done but often forget to restore the original settings. This may also happen if original network settings are altered or modified due to an update in the system. Using this method, you can reset the TCP and IP to its default settings.
- Write ‘CMD’ in the search section of the ‘Start Menu’ and click on ‘Command Prompt’.
- Now, click on ‘Run as administrator’ and you will a pop-up box.
- Type in the command “netsh int ip reset” & hint Enter.
Restart your system. Now you are good to go.
The wire is properly inserted in the slot and still the internet is not working, why is that so?
It may happen that the wire must have been broken inside due to which it has lost its ability to function, simply get a new ethernet wire and that should help you with the problem.
How do I re-install the driver which I have uninstalled in the process mentioned above?
The drivers would be automatically installed in your system again once you reboot the laptop/ PC.
How can one make sure that the network is established when the wire is connected?
There might be a connection issue in case if your system is connected to the ethernet wire and to the wireless network (wi-fi) at the same time. It is important for you to establish any one connection (wired or wireless) to allow the system to function smoothly.
Does this error have to do anything with my internet speed?
No, this error is not related to your internet speed and is caused by the factors listed above.
Those were some of the most effective solutions listed above which will definitely solve the ‘Ethernet Unidentified Network’ error and get your internet working within minutes.