We all know the fact that the development of windows gave a new look to computers. I am sure if there were no windows we would never be able to use our PCs so efficiently. Microsoft is also doing a great job by making its product better and better.
The main purpose of so many updates is to optimize the windows for computers. Also to make their product more user-friendly day by day. I am sure you are reading this article because of “Service Host Delivery Optimization”.
If you are facing such an issue don’t worry at all. You are going to find all the answers to your questions. Microsoft Service Host Delivery Optimization can be annoying if it cost you your internet. In this article, I will try to explain what is Service Host Delivery Optimization and how to disable it.
What is Service Host Delivery Optimization?
Service Host Delivery Optimization is basically a client update service that uses both local and non-local devices with the help of the internet. The aim of Service Host Delivery Optimization is to deliver windows updates.
How does Service Host Delivery Optimization work?
Actually, It combines data from Microsoft data centres and local devices. The combined data helps to deliver a complete update at a low bandwidth cost. It also helps in fast updates.
What are the Issues of Service Host Delivery Optimization?
The Service Host Delivery Optimization might be a good thing but I found something disturbing on the internet. I saw many users were complaining about the High disk usage. Some of them were complaining about slower performance. It made me do some research on the topic and write something useful for my site’s readers.
How to solve service host delivery optimization issue?
There are many ways to prevent Service Host Delivery Optimization bothering your PC. This article will explain a few ways through which you can get rid of low performance and High disk, CPU usage.
Method 1- Turning Off updates from multiple places
Because Microsoft updates connect many devices for quicker updates download It can cost you high disk usage. We can avoid this by going for the regular update method. For switching to regular update method you will have to turn off updates from multiple places.
Follow the steps below:
- Press the Windows Key along with “S” on the keyboard. It will take you to the Search Bar.
- Type “Windows Update” Settings in the search bar.
- Once you have reached the update settings, locate Advanced Options.
- The advanced options will give you some choices like notify to schedule restart etc.
- There will also be an option “Pause Updates”
- In there you can pause your updates for 35 days. By clicking on the dropdown menu and scroll down to the last and select the last date which is showing on your system.
This might help some of you to keep update pause for a few days. If you want to extend, just open ii after few days and keep increasing.
Also Read:- 8 Best Solution to Fix Twitch 2000 Network Error
If it doesn’t work keep reading the article. The next method will describe getting rid of Service Host Delivery Optimization in another way.
Method 2- Editing the Group policy:
This method may be a little bit risky **spoiler alert**. If you change some of the policies without knowing about them you can harm your PC. I highly recommend change policies mentioned here only. Avoid playing with anything else because we don’t want to ruin our PC today.
If you are wondering why are we changing group policies then let me explain. We are going to switch the delivery optimization with something else. We will also limit bandwidth which will help in controlling the internet usage.
Follow the steps below:
- go to “run“
- Type the command “gpedit.msc” (group edit)
- This command will take you to a window with group policies.
- inside the group, policies click on the “Computer Configuration“.
- After computer configuration and click on “Administrative templates“.
- Then Open “Windows Components“.
- Inside windows components make your way to “Delivery Optimization“.
- Find the “Download Mode” option in the policies and open its properties Bu double-clicking on it.
- Inside Download Mode “Enable” the policy and make your way to a drop-down menu. Click on that menu and select “Download Mode” to “Bypass“.
We are almost done now go to computer configuration and then administrative templates. Switch to Network and then background intelligent transfer service. It allows you to limit the bandwidth and speed with respect to your connection.
Also Read:- Top 6 Best Ways to Fix Steam Error Code 105
Limit the speed to 10kb and reboot your PC. This will turn off your service host delivery optimization. As a result, you will not get any problems related to the internet and disk usage. There are also other methods to follow if this one is not working for you.
Method 3- Disabling Automatic Updates the in-store Application
The windows store is no doubt a great source of software and apps. It has some great features which include virus-free apps and keeping them up to date. Wait did I say keeping them up to date is a great feature? well! pardon me for some users it could be a real pain. Especially those buddies who have a slow internet connection.
The windows store does its job perfectly like a hitman. It updates the apps in the background whenever there is an update released. It does not even ask the user for updating certain apps.
This is a good thing but the side effects are it will slow down your internet as it drains download speed. Also, you might end up with storage issues. So I am sure you have an idea of what I am talking about. The Windows store updates could be a partner in making troubles for your PC.
Don’t worry there is a piece of good news for you. I have covered how to turn off these unwanted updates in this article. I will try my best to share the best of my knowledge and help you solve your problems. You can check out my other articles too (just in case you are interested).
Alright, let me tell you how to turn off the windows store updates properly. Please follow the guidelines to the letter as follow:
Steps to disable the Windows store updates
- Go to the windows search bar and type “Store” in it.
- This will save you time and take you to the windows store.
- After opening Microsoft store, click on the three-dot of the top right corner. A dropdown menu will open up and in there you need to click on the “Settings“.
- Once you have successfully made your way to the settings find update apps automatically.
- Ok, now you found the “Update Apps Automatically” the next step is to turn it off by tapping on the Toggle button.
After successfully executing all the steps you will turn off your auto-updates. This you save your storage as well as internet speed.
Method 4- Giving it a cleaner Boot
If you tried all the methods and still you are in trouble then you will have to ask the SWAT team to solve it. Yeah! If regular cops can’t handle it then SWAT might teach these problems a lesson. Wait! By SWAT team I mean rebooting your system. I was not talking about the REAL SWAT TEAM.
Ok! so I assumed that the above methods didn’t help you get rid of the problem. Also, you are still facing high storage and Internet Issues. Then there is another option in my mind. We will try to give our system a clean boot and see if it works or not.
Wait a minute! you might be thinking why are we booting our system. Please allow me to explain that by clean booting our system we will see only a few drivers and programs running. Only those apps and drivers will be on allowed which are on duty the rest will be blocked.
Now we will check the usage. If it is perfect then we will allow some more apps to run and check the usage. We will keep doing it and restarting our system until we find the one causing all the trouble.
This will allow us to diagnose the real culprit and block it from our Disney princess (sorry I am talking about our PC).
Hold on! I am going to tell you the exact method by which you can block and unblock apps. All you have to do is to follow the guidelines step by step and make sure you follow the instructions carefully.
- Go to “RUN” by typing run in the windows search bar.
- type “MSConfig” in the run dialogue box and hit ok.
- A window appear called “system configuration”.
- Select “Selective startup” then only uncheck “Load startup items” and keep “Load system services” checked.
- Switch to the “Services” tab and find the line “Hide all Microsoft services”
- This will make sure only third party services are running in front of you. By doing this we can safely disable and enable services that are not necessary.
- Now click on “Disable all” and you will see that all the third-party services like Utorrent and adobe service updates etc will be disabled.
- Switch to the “Startup” tab and click on the “Open Task Manager“. Now you will find some services running like a steam client (if you have steam installed) etc. Disable them all one by one.
- After click on “Apply” > “Ok”. Once you have executed every step successfully then restart your computer and check the usage.
If it is gone then it surely means that there was a third-party app that was causing all the trouble.
Method 5- Turning Off Allow Download from other PCs
If your internet connection is slow and your PC is connected to a local network so, your PC can download updates from your local PCs if they have already download the update. It can cause your PC CPU usage by service host delivery optimization. Follow the below steps to disable it.
- As like Method 1 go to Windows Update settings. In there again open the Advanced Options.
- In that option last you can see the Delivery Optimization, And open it up.
- Under Delivery Optimization, you will see “Allow Download from other PCs“. Tun it off by tapping on the toggle button.
Method 6- Limiting Internet Speed
Limiting your Internet speed can stop your PC over CPU usage. It’s called Metered Connection. This option became very handy when you have a limited data plan. After enabling Metered connection it cut down data usage of your System apps, like Windows updates, Apps update and many more. Follow the below steps to enable Metered Connection.
- First, open up settings and go to “Network & Internet” tab.
- In the left corner click on the “Ethernet“, then tap on the Ethernet connection which is showing. (Follow Microsoft guide if you using WiFi)
- After going into Ethernet settings you can see the “Metered connection“. You need to turn on “Set as metered Connection“.
Now you successfully Enabled Metered connection by tapping on the toggle button and cutting down over CPU, Data usage.
Microsoft being a billion-dollar company is trying its best to provide a great and userfriendly interface. They are making their products better and better day by day. The Service Host Delivery Optimization is one of the most useful services they have launched until now. It allows us to keep our system apps updated in less time and lower bandwidth costs. But some of us are facing issues like high disk usage and slow internet speed.
In order to get rid of these problems, I have mentioned some steps which can help you disable this feature. It will allow you to continue using your PC without any trouble. Please follow all the instructions carefully and don’t miss any steps
This blog is all about solving software related problems. I do a lot of research before posting something here and my aim is to help my readers get rid of bugs and issues. I try my best to post the most common and working methods here. If some of these steps don’t work for you it means that your problem is totally different from this domain.
However, I encourage you to post your issue in the comments. I will try my best to find a solution to your problems. I am trying to make this world a better place and gain as much knowledge as possible. If this article helped you please don’t forget to share it with your friends and family using the social media share buttons.
Sharing is totally free and it won’t cost you a penny but it will help me reach my voice to hundreds of people out there. I might make somebody’s day so please do it as a favour for me. Make sure you check out our other articles related to android and PC issues here.